Tuesday 10 September 2013

chapter III - poker dreams

About 6 months after getting his job at the Bank, Josh started to intensify his poker activity. By then, Full Tilt Poker was his world and he was making some serious cash (for a 24 year old anyway). I remember he used to take his laptop to the toilet so he wouldn't miss a round and he was more and more convinced he would be able to be among the world's finest poker players, if only he had more time and more money to play.

After a couple of sleepless weekends, when he earned like 1000 dollars and skipped work, he decided to do it. He told me he was quitting his job and would play full time from then on. Getting an education or finding a better job was completely (and still is) out of the question.

Believe it or not, I was ok with it. By then I was still living with my parents and didn't realise the risk that decision brough upon our future. I figured, if he wanted to try, he should try it as soon as possible, and not when we were married and had kids. I also thought that he would have the ability to see and recognize if it wasn't working, and to stop and change directions if necessary.

That was a huge mistake. I mean, not that I supported his decision, but that I couldn't see that he wasn't mature enough to know when to call it quits. Now, 4 years later, he still isn't among the best of the best (not even close). He isn't sponsored. He has debts (some of which I share) and he is basically broke.

Thank you for reading this far, feel free to share your stories on the comments section.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your stories or simply your thoughts!